Monthly Archives: September 2015

Breaking Things: A New Mint Install Problem

One of the trials of experimenting with Linux, is that every now and then, I really mess things up! This past weekend, I managed to  cause some bad sectors on my hard drive while playing with some software that ended up freezing up. The hard reset of the machine caused the damage.

Fine, I’ll reinstall Mint 17 which won’t take long, and I do a complete backup to my ownCloud server automatically so nothing lost but a little time.

Once everything was restored to my liking though, I found a weird problem. My system was slow and sluggish, often freezing up for long periods of time. Opening the System Monitor found the problem quickly though. The program mate-settings-daimon was eating 100% of the CPU cycles on all 4 CPUs in my machine!

Some digging around found that it was a known bug that was supposed to be fixed, but I was sure having problems!

Digging through the Linux forums found it to be a common problem, even with Mint 17.1. The most common cause turned out to be the keyboard NUM lock, causing the extra compute cycles. Supposedly, going into settings and turning off NUM lock was supposed to fix the problem. Nope, that didn’t help.

What finally ended up being the problem for me, and perhaps for you, was that when my system installed, it set an important permission incorrectly.

In the /run/user/1000/dconf/ directory the file called use  was showing it was owned by root  but since I’m user 1000, it should have been owned by me!  As I watched the file, you could see it refreshing itself, dozens of times a second, eating all your CPU time Checking the logs, proved the permissions to be the problem as over and over, a Permission Denied message would display for that file..

Opening a terminal window in superuser mode lets us change the permissions. Use sudo caja   then right click on the file user and select Properties. Make yourself the owner of the file with full permissions and then close caja and reboot your computer.

Screenshot-dconf

Screenshot-dconf

My CPU time from mate-settings-daemon went from 99% to 0% as it should have. Now it only shows usage when it’s supposed to!

 

Tweaking ownCloud’s Calendar

New goats are settling in, so let’s get back to some Linux fun!

We love ownCloud here on the farm, and have written several blog entries about it. One thing about this wonderful software that has always made me crazy, was that the calendar application used a colour to highlight the current day, that we just couldn’t see!

ownCloud Calendar

ownCloud Calendar

When my FLux software would cut in, the barely visible colour would not be visible.

Of course like any software, you can tweak it to your liking in just a few steps!

First open your file browser as an administrator and head to your /var/www/owncloud/apps/calendar/js directory and then open the Calendar.js file with your favorite text editor.

Caja as Superuser

Caja as Superuser

Then do a quick search for the current colour, in this case #FFC and change it to whatever you like! In the example below, I changed it to #f4e71d

Revised background colour

Revised background colour

Of course, it’s possible that if ownCloud does an update of that file, you will lose your fix, but it’s simple to change again!

I should note that really, the proper place to fix this problem is in the themes, changing the colour in the style sheet. I’d done that without success, which is why I went ahead and changed it in the javascript file instead…