Tag Archives: Home Repairs

Where Have I Been? Ask My Wife!

Updated June 2, 2017

So 2 years post cancer surgery, and enjoying a brief remission from my multiple sclerosis symptoms, my wife put me to some serious work the last 2 months!

We have been in our home on the farm now for 12 years. We did nothing but move in 12 years ago. We did no redecorating, just put our furniture down and got on with life.

Taking advantage of my brief good health, my bride of 35 years decided it was time to do some things around the house!

First, our 22 year old manufactured home, had 22 year old carpet in it. It was time, especially in the living room, to replace the flooring! Me being in a wheelchair, we decided to ditch carpet and put down tile.

22 year old carpet

Yuck!

Pulling up the carpet, we found 1/2 a centimeter of sand under the carpet pad. Not surprising, as our lawn is mainly beach sand!

Sand under the carpet

Sand under the carpet

I vacuumed up literally, 20kg of sand from the floor!

Next came preparing the floor for the tiles. In a manufactured home, there is what is called a marriage joint between the two halves of the home. This left a 1cm gap that needed to be filled in.

Marriage joint

Marriage joint

Ripping some pine from some scrap lumber we had laying around. we glued in a filler strip in this gap

Filler strip glued into the marriage join

Filler strip glued into the marriage joint

After the glue dried, I spent 2 days with my pad sander, getting it nice and smooth!

Lots and lots of sanding

Lots and lots of sanding

Finally, we sealed the plywood, and installed the tile. We also installed new wallpaper border above the chair rail in the living room. Really came out well!

New tile set, new area rugs placed. Wife happy!

New tile set, new area rugs placed. Wife happy!

The next project was much more complicated. If you look out the picture windows in the photo above, you’ll see another room outside the main living room. The previous owner of our home, had built a very poorly designed extra room on the rear of the house.

We decided when we moved in, that we would not occupy it, as the construction was really suspect!

Additions on the rear of the house

Additions on the rear of the house

At the rear of the house, is a pole barn. The house addition was built first, then the pole barn, then a second roof was built between the barn and the addition, then another roof was built between the house and the barn!

The resultant mess, meant that no sunlight made it into the living room, or the master bedroom!

Roof extension etween the house and pole barn

Roof extension between the house and pole barn

The house to barn roof is only 4 feet deep, but the last owner went nuts with the construction of it!

House to barn roof

House to barn roof

The barn to house extension, tying the house extension to the barn was open on 2 sides, with just lattice keeping pests out, but wind and rain were happy to invade!

Barn to extension room

Barn to extension room

Further, the lumber in the main room extension was so bug eaten and rotten, we were really concerned about the whole mess coming down in a Florida storm!

Load bearing and rotten!

Load bearing and rotten!

Roof, over a roof, over a roof!

Roof, over a roof, over a roof!

It took 2 weeks solid, and my trusty DeWalt reciprocating saw, to tear the whole mess down!

Yet another roof over a roof!

Yet another roof over a roof!

 

Extension Roof Removal

Extension Roof Removal

Extension roof rafters, tied into the fascia board of the main house.

Extension roof rafters, tied into the fascia board of the main house.

Nasty room extension removed from the main part of the house.

Nasty room extension removed from the main part of the house.

Next, the barn extension, that tied into the house extension was removed, and the barn closed in with a new wall.

Barn extension

Barn extension

End of the barn, closed in

End of the barn, closed in

And finally, we retained the floor of the old house extension, and turned it into a nice deck!

Deck in place of old house extension

Deck in place of old house extension

Our final project, after closing in the West end of the barn, was to close in the East end of the barn properly as well.

Original barn opening

Original barn opening

The original opening was just closed off with a farm gate, to keep the animals out. Sadly, all the feral cats in the area could still get in, and they often caused quite a mess!

Rotting Wood

Rotting Wood

The face of the pole barn was covered in wood lattice, and once it had rotted out, was covered up with vinyl lattice. Under that, was a rotten, untreated timbre. The entire thing was a mess!

New barn wall and doors

New barn wall and doors

A new end wall was constructed of pressure treated lumber and siding. A double door, with a total of 6 feet in width will allow me to get our tractor in the barn for repairs. The window gives some natural light and ventilation.

Everything is primed and ready for a final coat of paint. Later, I’ll be putting a new coating on the metal roof to freshen it up too!

Then, we moved my autistic son’s swimming pool next to the new deck and his tinyhouse camper!

Between these two projects, it’s been over 2 months. I hurt all over, having used muscles that I’ve ignored for years!

Our humble house is happier, the living room and bedrooms have natural light for the first time in 12 years, and my bride is very happy!

I’ve been grateful that I’ve had an M.S. remission that let me do this project. It’s been talked about for years, and now it’s done.

Thanks for reading along!